With Derek Falvey and Thad Levine as the new heads of the Twins' baseball operations, the first changes in the Twins' organization and the first interest in certain players has begun. I will be bringing news for Twins moves and rumored interest as they come, leaving the names of interesting parties as are unless something changes about their status, adding new information as it comes. As previously, this is actually reported interest, and not "who fits where" hypothetical interest. I will be adding information about former Twins as it happens, but not rumors, as well. This is what has happened or rumored to have happened so far:
- Not many changes are happening at the front office. It looks like most Assistant GMs under Ryan, esp. Antony, Radcliff, and Johnson will remain for the foreseeable future in their roles, likely to provide a bridge and ensure operational continuity, allowing Falvey and Levine to assess them and make more changes next off-season, or when they deem necessary. It looks like the new Twins' brass will not make wholesale changes and likely use 2017 and a trial season; they would ever look at Terry Ryan to potentially return in some role.
- One front office opening: Andrew Ettel, Twins coordinator of baseball research has resigned
- The first casualties in the Scouting department were East Coast scouts Jay Weitzel and Ricky Taylor.
- The Twins' brass is also taking a conservative approach with the coaches, announcing that all of them except Butch Davis, the 1st base coach, and Tom Brunansky, the hitting coach, will return. A lot of people are disappointed that the coach of the worst pitching staff in the majors, who also was arrested for DUI, is retained. In addition, Butch Davis' dismissal looks too similar to when the Twins scapegoated Jerry and Stelly for their 99 loss season. With Ryan dismissed, and taking the biggest fall, the statement here, is that the root causes of 2016 were likely because of personnel issues and not field management.
- Speaking of personnel, the Twins will be talking with the agent of free agent C Jason Castro today.(11/9)
- The Twins are also reported to be after "experienced" players, without any names mentioned. (11/9)
- The Twins' have attended the showcase of former Royals' closer RHP Greg Holland. (11/7)
- Alex Wimmers was outrighted to AAA Rochester. This brings the Twins' 40-man roster to 37, 21 pitchers and 16 position players. Expect more removals before the month is over.
- On the minor league front, the City of Elizabethton, TN, is making a large investment in their ballpark, to keep the Twins-owned Rookie Appalachian League affiliate in town.